Memory Man
These are the memories of  the Hibee Memory Man and memory only. No Googling, cards up sleeves, hypnosis nor mirrors used! His opinions are his own take on things of course.
7th and 8th October
There haven’t been too many Hibs matches on either of these dates in my lifetimes, as since 1989 this weekend had usually had international fixtures scheduled on it.  Anyway, here goes:
– Saturday, 7 October 1995: SPL: Hibs 2-1 Falkirk.  After a disappointing week which began with conceding an equaliser to a ten men hertz team in the 6th minute of injury time on the Sunday and also featured a 3-0 reversal at Starks Park on the Wednesday, it was nice to get back to winning ways.  Our opener was a very dubious penalty following what looked like a dive by Evans to me, but Oooh-Ahhh-Jacksona did not let that bother him.  Into the second half and Crunchie (I think) doubled the lead going down the slope before the Bairns pulled one back, which ensured a frantic end to the game.  A sense of relief ensued at the final whistle, but it was good just to secure the three points.
– Wednesday, 8 October 1986: SPL: Hibs 3-2 Clydebank.  A midweek game witnessed our first home League win since Sounessgate on the opening day of the season.  Part-time Bankies scored two early goals, before Billy Kirkwood (with his only ever competitive goal for the club) reduced the deficit.  I cannae mind if Willie Irvine mark 2’s first for the equaliser was before or after the break, but, either way, he scored the winner with his own second of the game after 74 minutes.
One post-script to this match is that that season we would play the Bankies home and away in different competitions on successive Saturdays in February.  On Valentine’s Day (I got feck all cards; as usual) Bankies took the lead in the Premier League match at Easter Road through a Stuart Gordon goal after 14 minutes.  However, into the second half and two goals in two minutes (46 and 47 minutes) through May and Collins (I think) gave us the lead.  Subsequent goals by Joe McBride and Stevie Cowan provided us with a convincing 4-1 victory in front of 5,000 fans.  This convincing victory and performance persuaded the same amount of Hibbies to travel through to Dunbartonshire the following Saturday for a Scottish Cup tie.  The crowd of 6,500 again witnessed an early goal from Stuart Gordon, but this time there would be no more scoring.  I can honestly say that, as a 15 year old in our first year living in Wales (we had moved south in July 1986; due to Dad’s job), that result was one of the most depressing I have ever experienced as a Hibby.  Even today, having attended and suffered in long-distance exile another two relegations, ignominious cup exits to the likes of Stirling Albion, Queen of the South and Morton, two Hampden humiliations at the hands of hertz, a 7-0 at Ibrox, a league 5-1 at Tynecastle, 6-0 at Parkhead, 7-0 at home to Malmo , I can still vividly recall how empty and flat I felt at full-time that afternoon.  The season was finished.  Nothing left to play for.  The fact that hertz knocked Celtic out at Tynecastle later that day (their match kicked off at 3.30pm cos of the rugby and the late Wallace Mercer being an attention-seeking, money-marketing obsessed erse of the highest calibre) did not improve my mood, either.
– Saturday, 8 October 1988: SPL: Dundee 2-1 Hibs.  A crowd of roughly 8,127 included a huge Hibs contingent, buoyed by the humping of champions Celtic the previous Saturday.  Unfortunately, however, recent signing from ourselves Gordon Chisholm gave the home team the lead after 8 minutes.  Archibald restored parity before half-time, before Tommy Coyne scored the decisive goal.  This was Hibs’ first league defeat of the season.  It was also our seventh defeat in eight matches at Dens Park.  A run which immediately followed four successive wins there for us.  Consider these stats, stat-porn lovers (I love a bit of stat-porn, me; you may have noticed!):
– 1982-83: 2nd match at Dens (early 83): Dundee 1-2 Hibs
– 1983-84: December 1983: Dundee 0-3 Hibs
                 April 1984: Dundee 1-2 Hibs
– 1984-85: Saturday, 18 August: Dundee 0-1 Hibs (Thomson 62)
                 Saturday, 29 December: Dundee 2-0 Hibs
– 1985-86: Saturday, 14 September: Dundee 1-0 Hibs (Brown 14; att. 5,410)
                  Saturday, 11 January 1986: Dundee 3-1 Hibs (Callaghan; att. 5,073)
– 1986-87: Saturday, 16 August 1986: Dundee 3-0 Hibs (Ian angus got their third, and, given that he had already scored against us that season with Aberdeen in their 4-0 win over us three days earlier, he achieved probably the unique feat of scoring twice against us in the space of four days with two different clubs)
                 Saturday, 27 December 1986: Dundee 2-0 Hibs
– 1987-88: Saturday, 21 November 1987: Dundee 2-1 Hibs (Coyne ?, 85; Collins 84; att.6,583)
                 Saturday, 30 April 1988: Dundee 0-0 Hibs
However, we would win on our next visit to Dens: on Saturday, 14 January 1989; two days after my Dad’s 46th birthday!  Which, given that I’m 46 now, makes me feel old.  Anyway, that match featured goals from Gareth Evans and Stevie Archibald for us and a Joe McBride equaliser for them.  But Super Joe would score a late winner for them (after Keith Wright had equalised) against hertz on Saturday, 15 April 1989.  A day, of course, overshadowed by the Hillsborough disaster and the attendant cover-up by the polis, the judiciary, the government, the media, the authorities.  I’m not a Liverpool fan, but I am a football fan, and what happened that day and the sub-Stalin-esque co-ordinated web of mendacity spun by the complicit authorities was nothing short of a national disgrace.  27  years before the truth was admitted!  Disgraceful!
– Saturday, 8 October 1994: SPL: Hibs 2-1 deid hunz.  Oh, I did enjoy this game!  I had a mate and his Doris up from England-shire for this match.  It was a beautiful sunny, Indian summer’s day.  We had been oot in Glas Vegas the night before and been to King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut to see a band called These Animal Men and then on to some club.  Cannae mind much about it. Had a couple of Don Revies in Robbie’s pre-match with a few of the Glasgow branch, put a bet on for the Hibs to win 1-0; well, at least I got the margin of victory right!  Anyway, we were sat in the Cow Shed and had a perfect view of Basil Boli’s opener for the hunz.  Thereafter Hibs took control.  However, it wasn’t until the first minute of the second half that Geebsie (fresh from his recent jinx-buster at the Swynerie) equalised with an effort that appeared to come off his knee and deceive Goram in the hun goals.  Hibs’ pressure was telling and how Boli escaped with a yellow card for an outrageous scything challenge on 18 year old Kevin Harper was beyond even Dougie Donnelly on that night’s Sportscene (and Donnelly is a Paris bun).  Into the last ten minutes and a Michael O’Neill corner was bulleted past Goram at the near post by the teenage sensation!  Cue some joyous, radge celebrations!  There was still time for Boli to repeat his assault on Harper.  This time he received a second yellow and walked.  After the game there was a fair amount of paggering in the vicinity of what is now the West Stand, as for that fixture Hibs had experimented with only giving the hunz the Dunbar End.  This had the consequence of lots of hunz acquiring tickets for the wing side of what is now the West Stand.  I spoke to big Peter Marks of the Glasgow branch after the game and he told me that it was full of hunz in there.
Post-script.  This was the first time that Rangers under Walter Smith’s management (his first spell) had lost a game after taking the lead away from home.  (The first time they had lost a game after taking the lead was at home to Motherwell.)  This would only happen to them once more under his management in his first spell in charge there.  Ken where that was?  that’s right!  You’ve guessed it!  Also, at Easter Road!  When we beat them 2-1, having been a goal down at half-time, on Saturday, 12 October 1996.  And even then the bloody ref tried to help them by awarding them a late penalty; which they missed; so the ordered a retake; which was saved!
Actually,second post-script.  Left-back Graeme Love absolutely ruled much-vaunted hun winger Brian Laudrup that day.  Rarely have I seen a Hibs full-back dominate his man so well in such an important game.  I doubt Laudrup had many more dry performances in his career than that day.  And Graeme Love?  Who he?  Where is he now?  I’d like to buy you a pint for that performance, mate!  You were man of the match for me!
6th October
– Saturday, 6 October 1984: SPL: St Mirren 2-0 Hibs.  Having been officially confirmed as manager and simultaneously as Pat Stanton’s successor, his former team-mate John ‘Sloop’ Blackley took his team to Love Street,  where Hibs had not won since March 1979.  Indeed during that time scale (now over five years!) we had played there eight times in the League and once in the Anglo-Scottish Cup (1979-80; the season the Paisley Saints won the tourney), losing eight times, with just a solitary goalless (I think) draw during the 1981-82 season under Bertie ‘Bertie Auld’s the name, fitba’s the game’ Auld (he lived in Strathaven and trained the year above me at Strathaven Dynamo; and according to the liars in the year above me at school, this was how he introduced himself to them.  Probably bollocks, but gullible, naive fool that I was, I believed it as gospel truth) as any kind of reward.  This match, however, featured a first half penalty for Hibs; when one of their players punched the ball off the line and was only booked for his trouble (as was the standard punishment for such an offence in those days).  Bobby Thomson, unfortunately, had his penalty saved by Campbell Money.  Into the second half and Mark Fulton grabbed one of the home side’s two goals.
Two post-scripts to this match.  One: we would lose all four matches to St Mirren that season.  The only time that ever happened.  And, if anything, the home results were worse and more ignominious than the away ones.  We lost 3-2 to a ten men Saints team on Saturday, 8 December 1984 (the day before Band Aid released ‘Feed the Jambos, let them know it’s Christmas time’); in front of only 2,601 spectators (one of the lowest ever post-war crowds at Easter Road; we had let in four at Cappielow the previous Saturday).  And talking of 4-0 defeats, we lost to St Mirren by that score at ER on Saturday, 27 April 1985.  I was there with my Dad and wee brother.  McAvennie ran riot and Ralphie Callachan got a black eye in a wee scuffle with that horrible Brian Gallagher.  The latter was probably still sulking from the 8-1 hammering we gave him when he was at Killie on Saturday, 2 April 1983.
Second post-script.  Mark Fulton would sign for Hibs the following season.  He only ever scored one goal for the Hibs: in a 5-3 Tom Hart Cup victory over Dunfermline on Wednesday, 4 December 1985.  However, he did score two spectacular ogs that season.  Celtic’s fourth in their 5-0 rout of us at ER on Saturday, 7 September 1985 (i.e three days after we beat them 4-3 on penalties after drawing 4-4 with them in the Skol Cup; also at ER).  And – my personal favourite – Dundee United’s first in the incidental game played at Easter Road on Saturday, 3 May 1986.  To be honest, from my vantage point on the sparsely-populated East Terracing, quite how he managed to hammer the ball high into the net, rather than hoof it up and away, was beyond me.  But we were drawing 1-1 when it happened.  When the North Enclosure under the old Pink News sign with CCS in large graffiti letters festooned on the wall erupted in unbridled, unexpected joy and the fans next to me and my Dad did the same and so we joined in and did likewise because we knew – and they knew – and everyone knew – that that could mean one thing and one thing only.  hertz had conceded a goal to Dundee.  And, simultaneously, the title to Celtic.   YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !
Seriously, I don’t think any group of supporters of any team – anywhere in the world – has enjoyed schadenfreude like us good Hibbies did that afternoon!  It’s not up there with 21.5.2016, but, to be honest, it’s in my top ten Hibbie memories.  I’m just so glad I was at ER that day.  Me and ma wee bro had had a fight playing football in the garden in Strathaven that Saturday lunch-time and Grant took the huff and didn’t come through to the game, despite Dad’s best efforts.  You missed out, wee bro!
– Saturday, 6 October 1990: SPL: Hibs 1-0 St Mirren.  A Mickey Weir strike after about 31 minutes gave us the two points.  I was at Bramall Lane that day.  The first time I’d ever been to watch Sheffield United; who to this day I have a soft spot for.  Sadly, the Blades lost 2-1 to Wimbledon.  So Harry Bassett lost to his old club.  Stood on the Shoreham Street kop, which was knocked down at the end of that season and replaced by a new, shiny stand.  First time I ever heard the greasy chip butty (to the tune of John Denver’s Annie’s Song).  One of the best football chants ever.  And I do like ‘a night out in Sheffield’!  Or I did then, anyway!
– Saturday, 6 October 2007: SPL: deid hunz 0-1 Hibs.  A David Murphy goal after about the hour mark maintained our unbeaten start to the league season.  And was our third win there in six visits.  A remarkable record for any team other than the lesser greens.  Was at Cardiff City that day; the Grange End at Ninian Park.  Haven’t got a clue who City played, what the result was, anything.  But I mind getting a text telling me we were winning at Ibrox.  And I mind getting another telling me we’d won at Ibrox!  Happy Hibby days!
5th October
– Saturday, 5 October 1985: SPL: Dundee United 2-2 Hibs.  Our first league point at Tannadeechee since a 3-3 draw in the home side’s title winning season of 1982-83 (Saturday, 26 March, to be precise).  Alan ‘Snoddy’ Sneddon of the fine blonde tash and mullet; almost a style guru and inspiration for Keith Lemon, had prior to this match only scored thrice previously in his Hibs career (one in a 2-1 win at fir Park in late 1983, the second in a vital 3-1 four pointer home win against Dumbarton on Saturday, 19 January 1985, and the fifth in a 5-1 hammering of Morton on Saturday, 9 February 1985 (a game which also featured a first Hibs hat-trick for Jukebox, on what was Joe McBride junior’s debut for the Hibs)).  However, he gave us the lead after roughly 20 minutes with a spectacular shot from outside the box.  Then Maurice Malpas equalised within ten minutes or so.  The same individual put the home side in the lead after roughly 57 minutes, before the one season wonder that was Stevie Cowan grabbed a late equaliser for the Hibs with just four minutes left.  The following day’s papers suggested we were a bit fortunate to leave with a point, but, as the Hibs programme pointed out a week later, this return of five points from six matches was our best since three wins in a row during the 1983-84 season.  Which, if nothing else, illustrates how poor a season 1984-85 had been.
One postscript is that this was the day that a late Derek McWilliams (a Jambo who had formerly been on Hibs’ books) goal at the Swynerie rescued a point for the hertz.  Not that any of us knew it at the time this transpired to be the first of an unbeaten league run of 27 matches (and 31 competitive games in all).  Just imagine what might have happened had hertz won that day?  Ha ha!  As my Uncle Billy says of that season, ‘A Jambo said to me once, ‘you ken that during the 1985-86 season we took seven points out of eight fi youse?’, ah just said, ‘Aye, just think what would’ve happened had you taken all eight!”.  Ooohhhh, the gallus Hibs-hertz banter!
– Saturday, 5 October 1991: SPL: Hibs 3-0 Dunfermline.  The Skol Cup final dress rehearsal on a fine sunny day at the Leith San Siro.  Keith Wright got at least one.  As did Pat McGinlay, from memory.  In fact, I think it was Keith wi two and Pat wi one.  Wasn’t at the game; was back at college in Sheffield by then.  But this match featured on Sportscene, and with my family having moved back to Scotland (to Bearsden of all bloody places) during the summer, my Dad video-taped it for me.  Anyway, the match was sadly memorable for the serious injury which effectively negated Mark McGraw’s embryonic promising season wi the Hibs.  He had played brilliantly in the Skol Cup semi v the deid hunz at Hampden, in my opinion.  (Still one of my favourite ever Hibs games that I’ve attended.  What a night!)  Unfortunately, McGraw’s career at Hibs failed to recover from this.
– Saturday, 5 October 2002: SPL: Hibs 2-1 Dundee United.  One from Garry O’Connor and a memorable mazy run and shot from Ian Murray going down the slope early in the second half made it three successive wins from three successive home games for the Hibs.  United pulled one back late on.  And the then United manager (Sturrock, I think) left the club the following midweek.  The attendance for this game would’ve been below 8,000.  I lived in Leith from 2001 – 2004/05 and was a season ticket holder with the happy bams round about the halfway line, about ten rows from the front, and I doubt we had more than about 5,000 regular season ticket holders in any of those seasons.  Looking back, we were bring through some good young laddies: Murray, O’Connor, Riordan.  It really is a shame to think how both O’Connor and Riordan spectacularly failed to achieve anywhere near what individuals with their potential should have.  Watching the Sheffield derby (4-2 to the Blades, c’mon!) recently and noticing Steven Fletcher get subbed, I thought to myself, ‘he is probably less naturally talented than either O’Connor and Riordan, but he’s played more games at a consistently higher level, and with the wages he’s earned he must be a multi-millionaire, whereas the other two have not got a pot to piddle in’.  A crying shame for all concerned.  I think Hibs as a club should do more – from a pastoral perspective and a financial management one – to discourage any talented-but-wayward laddies from wasting their talent like Riordan and O’Connor.  Two Hibbies who both provided us all with some magic moments.  Especially v hertz!
4th October
super Joe
– Saturday, 4 October 1986: SPL: Hamilton Accies 1-4 Hibs.  Our first league victory since the epic defenestration of Graeme Souness in his debut for the deid hunz at the Leith San Siro.  We had actually won there in a midweek Skol Cup tie on Wednesday, 27 August 1986; Stewart Beedie getting the only goal of a game which also featured a missed penalty by mine host of the 4 In Hand, Kano!  Anyway, two goals from Super Joe McBride and one a piece from Eddie May and George McCluskey did the job in front of a crowd of 3,478.  It was 3-1 at half-time.  Interestingly, this was our first away victory by a margin of three goals since December 1983 when we won 3 nowt at Dens Park.  Although we had led 3 nowt at Love Street (on Saturday, 16 November 1985) and 4-1 at Kilbowie (on Wednesday, 30 October 1985) the previous season.  On both occasions our notoriously bordello-like defence had conceded a late consolation for the home team.  Older Hibbies will recall us winning a League game by a seven goal margin at a venue where we also won by the same magic number of a difference in the Scottish Cup back in January.
– Saturday, 4 October 1997: SPL: Hibs 3-4 deid hunz.  The first of seven straight defeats for a team that was near the top of the table going into this fixture.  An early penalty for the hunz before Pat McGinlay and Barry Lavety gave us a 2-1 lead right on half-time.  One minute into the second half and a Stevie Crawford goal going up the slope had us 3-1 up and believing a famous victory was imminent.  Sadly, a combination of Marco Negri, Gazza and Oli Gotskalskon (sp.?) had the hunz 4-3 up by the hour mark.  It stayed that way.  Our inexorable, ignominious descent into relegation had begun.  Lex Gold really wants his erky-perky booted with size 10 Doctor Martens for not punting Jim Duffy earlier.  A rubbish manager and not suited to a club of the stature of Hibernian FC.
– Saturday, 4 October 2003: SPL: Maryhill Students 0-1 Hibs.  Grant Brebner with a late goal (I think it was in injury time) gave us all three points.  Earlier that day the deid hunz had lost 3-2 at home to the lesser greens.  Glas Vegas must’ve been fun that day!
– Saturday, 4 October 2008: SPL: SSBs 1-2 Hibs.  The second and third goals of Derek Riordan’s second stint with his boyhood heroes provided us with our only League victory over the Dons in what was a very inconsistent season for Mixu’s men.  (We drew 2-2 and 0-0 at ER and lost 1-2 at Todders in the other matches between the sides that season.)  It ended with Mixu presumably signing some sort of compromise agreement (as such deals were then known; they are now known as settlement agreements under the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act 2013 (sorry for being such a legal bore; but I do have a law degree and, as a long-term trade unionist, I have helped colleagues in such matters at former employers)), as Rodders was concerned that ST sales would be drastically reduced if he was not relieved of his duties.  In retrospect, I think we were very quick and very harsh to condemn MP.  He inherited a poisoned chalice.  It appeared that JC had possibly lost the changing room somewhat.  Also, when you compare MP’s results – especially his derby results: we won two by 1-0 in the space of 55 days in March to May 2009; we would not beat them again until Sunday, 2 December 2012 in the Scottish Cup, and not again in the League until Sunday, 12 May 2013, i.e. four fecking seasons! – with those of his successors, with the exception of Yogi’s first half of the season, he did alright.  Further, the man is a legend!  I certainly won’t forget his hat-trick against the sh*** in maroon on Sunday, 22 October 2000.  So, Mixu, if you’re reading this, sorry for emailing RP and telling him to bin you.  We should’ve kept you.  Hindsight’s a wonderful thing, though, eh, no?
– Saturday, 4 October 2014: 1st division: Hibs 0-0 Raith.  We virtually always do this, beat the hunz, then make a erse of it in our next match.  Have a look at these stats and weep.  Hibs’ victories over a Rangers club (there have been two of them, Tom English et al) since 1979 and results in next matches:
1984-85: 12 January: hunz 1-2 Hibs
                19 January Hibs 3-1 Dumbarton
11 May Hibs 1-0 hunz (last game of season, i.e. no next game)
1985-86: 25 September: Hibs 2-0 hunz (skol Cup)
               28 September: Hibs 1-0 Motherwell
               19 October: hunz 1-2 Hibs
                27 October: SSBs 3-0 Hibs (skol Cup final)
1986-87: 9 August: Hibs 2-1 hunz
               13 August: SSBs 4-0 Hibs
1987-88: 12 August: Hibs 1-0 hunz
                15 August: Hibs 0-4 Dundee
1989-90: 19 August: Hibs 2-0 hunz
                26 August: hertz 1-0 Hibs
                24 March: hunz 0-1 Hibs
                31 March: Hibs 1-2 hertz
1991-92: 25 September: hunz 0-1 Hibs (Skol Cup)
                28 September: Hibs 1-1 tims
1993-94: 3 May: Hibs 1-0 hunz
               7 May: Dundee 4-0 Hibs
1994-95: 8 October: Hibs 2-1 hunz
               15 October: Falkirk 0-0 Hibs
1995-96: 23 September: hunz 0-1 Hibs
               1 October: Hibs 2-2 hertz
1996-97: 12 October: Hibs 2-1 hunz
                19 October: Motherwell 1-1 Hibs
2000-01: 14 October: Hibs 1-0 hunz
                22 October: Hibs 6-2 hertz
2003-04: 5 February: hunz 1-1 Hibs (Hibs win 4-3 on penalties; Skol Cup)
               10 February: Dundee United 0-0 Hibs
Haven’t got time to continue this sequence, as I need to drive to work . But you get the picture, i.e. we usually have a rubbish result after beating the hunz!  Do the team just go out on the peeve for three days afterwards?!
3rd October
03/10/92 PARTICK THISTLE V HIBS (2-2) FIRHILL - GLASGOW Hibs' Mickey Weir in action
Mickey Weir in action
– Saturday, 3 October 1981: SPL: Harry Wraggs 1-0 Hibs.  Bertie Auld (who had left the Jags to replace the retiring (on ill health grounds) Willie Ormond in November 1980) took his newly-promoted Hibs team back to Firhill for the first time.  And lost 1-0 to a Partick side managed by Hibs legend Peter Cormack!  This was the only goal we would concede to them all season; winning 3-0 and 2-0, before drawing 0-0 in the other fixtures.  Sad to relate that Willie Ormond’s continuing ill health resulted in his untimely passing at the age of 57 in the summer of 1984.  by way of comparison, Bobby Johnstone passed away in autumn 2001, Gordon Smith on Saturday, 7 August 2004, Eddie Turnbull on Saturday, 30 April 2011, and Lawrie Reilly on a Monday in July 2013.
– Saturday, 3 October 1987: SPL: Lesser greens 1-1 Hibs.  This was the much-heralded debut of Frank ‘Where’s ra burdz?  It’s only a wee bit ae charlie’ McAvennie. That horrible, Hibs-hating commentator Andy Walker put the Celts a goal within 4 minutes, only for Alex Miller’s Hibs to steamroller Celtic for most of the last hour of the game.  Andy Watson’s late shot to level matters was the least we deserved.  Another interesting fact is the attendance was 31,805, i.e. roughly half of the crowd from Saturday.  This was only 30 years ago!  Indeed, until Fergus McCann booted some life into the tims, Hibs often played there in front of crowds of 15,000 or less.  Indeed, one 3-2 defeat in April 1984 was watched by only 8,000 fans!  And that was on a Saturday n aw!
– Saturday, 3 October 1992: SPL: Partick 2-2 Hibs.  First game after Anderlecht.  And the scoring sequence mirrored Saturday’s.  A goal down at half-time, before an equaliser by Mickey Weir, before Darren Jackson put us a goal up, before Ray Farningham’s second of the game equalised for the home team late on.  (Please note, I may have got our scorers the wrong way round; but it was definitely Mickey and Darren who scored for us that day.)
– Saturday, 3 October 1998: 1st division: Airdrie United 1-3 Hibs.  Cannae mind who scored our goals that day.  I would make an educated guess at Stevie Crawford, Pat McGinlay and Mixu Paatelainen.  I’m sure Kenny Black got their consolation.  And Gareth Evans – by then playing for them – was sent off against us?  Anyway, the Diamonds were then managed by Gary Mackay, I think.  And it’s always nice to rain on his parade.
– Saturday, 3 October 2015: 1st division: QOS 0-3 Hibs.  Hibs wearing purple shirts continued our good run since the Scott Allan saga was resolved much to the chagrin of convicted fraudster, David Cunningham King.
2nd October
– Saturday, 2 October 1971: Top tier: Motherwell 1-1 Hibs.  I think it was the late Johnny Hamilton who scored the first Hibs goal in my lifetime!  Don’t know how the scoring went, though.  does anyone else know who scored the first Hibs goal and what the first Hibs result was of their lifetime?  For example, I know that Mad Mike’s son Shaun was born on Sunday, 5 November 2000, and that David Zitelli scored an overhead kick winner at the traditional Albert Kidd end of Dens that day?  Anyway, the same day hertz beat the deid hunz 2-1 at Swynecastle.  Maybe a controversial view for a Hibby to have, but when those two meet these days, I prefer to see the hunz lose than hertz.  Didn’t think I could ever dislike any footballing entity more than the deid hunz, but the new hunz have achieved something that I personally thought impossible, i.e. they are a more  disgraceful, self-pitying, obscene, bigoted, deep-fried, of an institution.
– Saturday, 2 October 1993: SPL: Hibs 2-0 Dundee United.  Just eleven days after one Darren Jackson goal was enough to beat the Tannadice men at Tynecastle, two by the same player beat them at Easter Road.  His first, just before half-time, going up the slope, was a thing of beauty.  Incidentally, the attendance that day was roughly 7,700.  However, vouchers entitling the holder to purchase a Cup Final ticket were given out to patrons that day.  This was not announced or advertised in advance.  Possibly due to this, and possibly expecting the same, the attendance the following Tuesday for the home game v Raith Rovers was watched by an improved, and unusually large for the time, attendance of 9,230 odds.  But the vouchers were not repeated that night, which led to some criticism of how Hibs had handled this matter.  Possibly the club, at a time when we only had about 2,000 season ticket holders (this was the last season of the pre-Taylor report implementation of all-seater stadia), was worried about hunz buying tickets for our end at the Cup Final.
– Saturday, 2 October 1999: SPL: Aberdeen 2-2 Hibs.  The Dons were a goal up going into the last five minutes, before Mixu Paatelainen equalised for Hibs in our high-vis away strip of that season (similar to last year’s; but with the Planet Saturn badge; 1999/2000 was the last season of that badge).  However, the Dons regained the lead within a minute or so.  Unfortunately for them – and for SSN’s Frank Gilfeather (an SSB, if ever there was one) – Matty Jack scored our second equaliser in injury time!
– Saturday, 2 October 2004: SPL: Dunfermline 1-1 Hibs.  Our long wait for a win at EEP continued (it would end that season, with a 4-1 win on Saturday, 19 March 2005; the same day Wales won their first Grand Slam since 1978!).  Garry O’Connor had opened the scoring early in the second half, only for the hosts to equalise with about three minutes remaining.
– Saturday, 2 October 2010: SPL: St Johnstone 2-0 Hibs.  Not that we knew it at the time, but this was Yogi’s last match as Hibs boss.  In my view, he lost the dressing-room round about the February of the previous season, and he definitely should’ve gone after Ross knocked us out of the Scottish Cup on Tuesday, 23 March 2010.  But his departure indirectly led to the appointment of the single worst manager in our history (in my view): Colin Calderwood.  I’ll stop now cos I will start swearing.  A lot.
The Hibee Memory Man



This entry was posted in News and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.